For all the running geeks who find this stuff interesting

My running goal for Chicago is a personal best time of 4:30! Not fast for many of you, but I will have to train hard, stay healthy and pray for good weather if I'm going to finish in that kind of time.

Feel free to provide comments and suggestions re my training. I can use all the help I can get.

To sponsor me, please go to my TNT fundraising page.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Week 13

Total distance run this week: 59 km
Number of runs: 4
Runs at tempo pace: 0
Hill training: 9 x 270m
Long run: 32 km
Other activities: cycling (44km)
Total training time: 10:15

I wish I'd had it in me to run the extra kilometre I needed to make it a nice round 60km for the week, but my long run this morning was too tough. It was already 24 degrees and humid by the time I headed out the door a little before 7 am. By the time I was schlepping home 4 hours later, the thermometer read 29 degrees with a "feels like" temperature of 38. Needless to say, I was seriously toasted by the time I made it in the door.

On the upside, the first 20km of the run felt pretty good after a bit of rocky week. My foot which had been tight and sore for a couple of weeks finally felt more normal, and I ran through some of my favourite parts of the city -- across the Central Experimental Farm, down Island Park Drive, along the Ottawa River to Parliament Hill, and then along Sussex Drive to old city hall where I picked up the Rideau River pathway back home. Unfortunately, I had somehow never noticed there's not a single water fountain for a stretch of about 12 or 13km along the Rideau River so I ran out of water 5 or 6 km from any source of drinking water -- not a mistake I'll make a second time!

The rest of my training this week went well too, although I continued to struggle with finding the right shoes. It turned out the ones I bought last weekend caused more problems than they solved so they went back yesterday and I got others which seem to work better for me. I ran all 32km in them this morning without major incident. My right leg and foot were a little sore by the end of my run, but I immediately soaked them in an icewater bath and they are feeling much better tonight. Of course, the real test will be getting out of bed tomorrow morning. :-)

Because my foot was acting up, and hill training was tough on Wednesday (again because of high heat and humidity), I skipped my 6km tempo run on Friday and replaced it with a steady 9km run instead. A sensible choice as it turned out.

My plan for the coming week is to take it a easier and let my legs heal a bit before I start building again the week after next. If the weather cooperates, I may bike a little more, but I'll try to keep my total running to a maximum of 35-40 km.

I can hardly believe race day is now only 8 weeks away -- which means there's only 5 more weeks of really hard training ahead. Time is definitely flying by!

No comments:

Post a Comment