For all the running geeks who find this stuff interesting

My running goal for Chicago is a personal best time of 4:30! Not fast for many of you, but I will have to train hard, stay healthy and pray for good weather if I'm going to finish in that kind of time.

Feel free to provide comments and suggestions re my training. I can use all the help I can get.

To sponsor me, please go to my TNT fundraising page.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Week 14

Total distance run this week: 38km
Number of runs: 3
Runs at tempo pace: 1 (8km)
Hill training: 0
Long run: 22 km
Other activities: cycling (22km)
Total training time: 6:10

My plan for this week was to reduce the intensity of my training to give my body a chance to integrate all the work I've done so far -- and mostly that's what I did. However, mother nature made the week a little tougher than planned by supplying lots of hot, humid weather.

And, to make it more challenging, I had to run all my runs later in the day than I'd have liked, meaning I wasn't able to take advantage of cooler morning temperatures. By week's end, I was referring to it as my week of intensive heat training.

Even though today's "long, slow run" was relatively short at only 22km, it still felt tough -- perhaps because I spent Friday evening and all day Saturday (10.5 hours!) at the Ottawa folkfest. When the alarm went off this morning, it was all I could do to drag myself out of bed. Who knew folk music could be so exhausting!

It's back to more intensive training again this week. If my right foot continues to behave, I'll tackle an easy 8-9 km tomorrow or Tuesday, a final hill workout on Wednesday, a tempo run Friday, and a 32km long run on Sunday. I'm also hoping the weather cooperates so I can do some cycling to and from the office. The one day I cycled last week, I got caught in torrential rain on the way in, then fought heavy winds and high heat and humidity all the way back. It was so bad, I considered walking my bike the last few kilometres.

At any rate, the weather forecast is for more moderate temperatures this week so I shouldn't have any excuse for taking it easy. Only 7 weeks more until race day and I want to make the most of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment