For all the running geeks who find this stuff interesting

My running goal for Chicago is a personal best time of 4:30! Not fast for many of you, but I will have to train hard, stay healthy and pray for good weather if I'm going to finish in that kind of time.

Feel free to provide comments and suggestions re my training. I can use all the help I can get.

To sponsor me, please go to my TNT fundraising page.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Weeks 18 and 19

Total distance run: 16.5 km & 39.3km
Number of runs: 2 & 3
Long run: 24km
Other activities: walking
Total training time: 7:50


If you’ve been following this blog, then you know I’ve kept faithfully to my training schedule all summer. Unfortunately – and perhaps predictably – I hit a bit of a rough patch the week before last when I caught a nasty cold while home in Nova Scotia on vacation. Though the cold didn’t last all that long, it kept me off the roads for several days and prevented me from completing one last 30km run as planned.

My coaches assured me that, since I had trained so faithfully and already run 4 really long runs of 29-36kms, missing that run was unlikely to affect my performance on race day. However, they also encouraged me to run one shorter “long” run last week when and if I felt well enough.

By Wednesday, the 23rd, I was feeling up to it so completed a 24km run along some of my favourite roads and beaches on Nova Scotia’s beautiful South Shore. It was a perfect day for it – breezy, overcast and cool – so I had a fabulous run. My right foot, which had been acting up for a couple of weeks, gave me no trouble, and the scenery was breathtaking the whole way. By the time I returned to the cottage, I felt strong, relaxed and completely ready for Chicago.


This coming week, with less than two weeks until race day, I’m not planning any heavy training. Between being sick and trying to cram in too much visiting and other stuff, my vacation wasn’t as restful as I’d hoped – so I’ll mostly focus on eating and sleeping as well as I can to try to ensure I am properly fuelled, rested and ready to run by the time I hit Chicago. I do, however, hope to run a few shorter runs of 10 and 12kms before now and next Sunday. With everyone around me sick, the biggest challenge may be staying healthy until race day.

No comments:

Post a Comment